After nearly three weeks spent exploring everything and anything Malaysia has to offer, I thought I’d do a round up of 5, not to be missed, things to do and see.
1. Petronas Towers, Kuala Lumpur. These spectacular sky scrapers dominate the city skyline and are as impressive up close as they are from afar. KLCC Park around the towers base are an added bonus if you’re looking for a shady stroll.
2. Perdana Botanical Gardens, Kuala Lumpur. The huge variety of plants, habitats and themed gardens make this national park deserving of at least an afternoons worth of exploration. Even if the rain stops play, seek shelter under the huge canopy near to the topiary garden, where you can hook up to the city wifi and post some of your incredible garden shots.
3. Perhentian Islands, Terengganu. Idyllic sandy beaches, palm trees and a host of incredible wildlife make these eastern islands an absolute must see for any beach loving explorer. Don’t miss out on hiring a kayak and seeing the islands from their best vantage points, out in the ocean.
4. Kek Lok Si Temple, Penang. This incredible Buddhist temple dedicated to the goddess of mercy is a sanctuary of beauty and colour. At the top, reward your climb with a stunning view of Penang in the valley below.
5. Cheong Fatt Tze Clan House, Penang. Affectionately known as the blue mansion following its restoration, this beautifully kept clan house is an example of exquisite craftsmanship and fengshui. Be sure to arrive early for the guided tour, which gives you the best insight into the power the founding clan members had over the growth of this now proud UNESCO site. Find out more here – http://www.cheongfatttzemansion.com/
Of course, these are just a handful of my favourites of the incredible things to see and visit in Malaysia. I would recommend anyone planning on going to pick up a lonely planet guide, which gives you guides to prices and opening times, as well as addresses. I found this an invaluable investment.
Look out for more top travel tips from locations around the globe coming soon!